1. Narratives that could be said at one time to have supported a unified self or have helped to integrate our diverse and contradictory experiences of the self, are increasingly displaced by mediums that seem to work through fragmented narratives supporting diverse expression and an aestheticized self-creation. (p.126)
2. …the older grand narratives from modernity are unable to address the novelty of the emerging image-based settings. (p.126)
3. …in our momentous times technologized image enters into the very core of processes of primary formation. (p.136)
4. Educators have largely taken for granted their relation to the print medium, the medium of the book, for the development of their practices. This is not just a question of educators now having to take into account image communication in their syllabuses. They certainly have to do that, but the shifts are much more profound than that. For there is a sense in which the main institutions that are the carriers of the image, the mass media, transform and take over functions long associated with education. (124)
5. …what makes it possible for young people to enter society and find their way around it, with some significant points of orientation including moral direction and sense of alternative possibility-is increasingly a task handled by the media.(124)
6. We live in an educational and cultural medium of a new type.
7. Our postmodern imagery must be put into the service of dreaming beyond the acceptance of such violence and seek new forms of social, political and ethical relations: in short, new forms of human community hitherto unimaginable.
8. If each discipline has its own set of rules, and its own rules of language then the role of the teacher is to teach the game and how to increase one’s productivity or performance within the game. For educational purposed this might require an actual game board for the child with rules of the game of say, geometry, botany or chemistry. A list of essential and current vocabulary or terms for the game and perhaps reflections on how a well played highly productive player might impact society.